Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Though I have been raised in somewhat of a Japanese household, I'm not too in touch with Japanese popular culture. I don't really know about the aspects of it that tend to reach the United States, namely anime, manga, video games, etc (although I admit to a bit of a Hello Kitty thing when I was younger). However, I have one Japanese fixation and that is the movies of Miyazaki Hayao (ok maybe that's anime). A few years ago my dad bought me a Chinese bootlegged boxset of them on eBay, so between that and my Japanese friends, I'm pretty sure I've seen almost all of the Miyazaki/Ghibli movies (there are some that are unavailable with English subtitles though). I've even seen that TV show about the spies...

Anyway I thought I'd bring this up since this past weekend for some reason I ended up watching two of them, 天空の城ラピュタ ("Laputa") and 耳をすませば ("Whisper of the Heart"). I didn't end up finishing either, but I've seen them both before so it's okay. I think that these two films represent the two directions Miyazaki movies tend to take: Laputa is in the fantastical style that Miyazaki is most well known for (at least in the USA), while Whisper of the Heart is a junior high love story (he's actually made quite a few of those as well). At any rate I enjoyed both of them and would recommend either...

2 comments:

Kappa said...

こんいちは!

わたしはバージーニアだいがくのがくせいです。Whisper of the Heartをみません。But most of the other Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli movies (bar The Cat Returns) I have seen. I think that my favorite of his movies still has to be Mononoke Hime, which sits the line of his fantasy and social commentary pieces.

I'll have to look into seeing Whisper of the Heart.

LeiseS said...

hahaha I'm also another uva student, it's funny we both spotted your blog... anyway, whisper of the heart みます。I own a bootlegged Chinese version as well and it nearly made me cry, the movie, not the bootlegged part. みやざき is awesome. and all the attention is ridiculous.
じゃあまた。